Welcome to Hampton Heritage Buildings Site
In the Fall of 1985, the Local Architectural
Conservation Advisory Committee (L.A.C.A.C.) of the Town of Newcastle,
commissioned Fred Cane, an architectural and restoration consultant,
to survey Darlington Township in order to identify buildings
of heritage value. In order to keep the inventory
to a manageable size, buildings erected after 1900, and barns,
driving sheds and other non-domestic farm buildings were not included
in the survey.
As historical data on individual buildings was not readily available,
the reasons used to select any building for inclusion in the
inventory were based primarily
on architectural significance. A building could be considered architecturally
significant for any of the following reasons:
(A) its design embodies in a
superior manner the characteristics of a particular style.
(B) it is a representative
example of a local building type which although once common is now scarce.
(C) its key position within a grouping of significant buildings
is such that its
destruction would erode the architectural value of the surrounding structures,
neighbourhood or landscape.
Regrettably, much of the rich and varied architectural tradition of this
area has been lost over the years. The Committee hopes that this volume will
as a useful reference to both owners and admirers of the 19th Century structures
and that it will encourage an active interest in the preservation of our
The publication of this inventory was made possible by a grant from the Ontario
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.
(Only Hampton area buildings are displayed below,
with architectural comments)
Hampton United Church built
in 1875 is the largest and best preserved of the village churches
in Darlington Township. Its location at the central intersection
in Hampton gives the church a prominence which makes it the architectural
focal point of the village. Surrounded by mature trees and an iron
fence, the church has a particularly fine setting which enhances
its simple Gothic Revival Design. The Church retains its original
Gothic glazing pattern and much of its original detailing, although
the spire which once completed the tower has been removed.
HISTORICAL COMMENTS The cornerstone for the church was laid in May 1874
and the building was dedicated about a year later, Built as a
Bible Christian Church, it became a Methodist Church in 1884 and
a United Church in 1925. The bell in Hampton United Church was
from St. John's Anglican Church in Bowmanville. NOTE:
All upper windows were replaced in Fall 2003.
The Hampton Mill built in 1851 is one of
four grist mills remaining in the Town of Newcastle. Built of timber
frame construction, the mill is 2.5 storeys in height and seven
bays wide. It retains many of its small paned sash as well as its
returned eaves in the vernacular Greek Revival tradition, although
most of the clapboard has been removed from the south and west
sides. In spite of its poor condition the mill remains an impressive
early building, and because its setting has not been dramatically
altered, it has greater architectural significance than the Vanstone
Mill in Bowmanville.
HISTORICAL COMMENTS Henry Elliott constructed
this grist mill in 1851 to replace a smaller mill which stood
on the west side of the creek. Elliott died in 1905 and in 1910
the business was sold to Charles Horn, the first of a series of owners
during the 20th century.
This house on the west side of Scugog Street
in Hampton dates from Circa 1875 and is a similar but less elaborate
version of the design used for the former Methodist Parsonage.
Here the second storey gables contain round-headed windows in the
Italianate tradition although the triple gable facade with its
decorative bargeboard gives the house a strong Gothic Revival feeling.
Front verandahs were not originally built in this instance, but
an attractive side verandah remains on the rear wing. This house
is well preserved and retains its original glazing.
This house Circa 1875 is representative
of many built during the latter part of the 19th century. Located
on the west side of Scugog Street in Hampton it is designed with
a basically ell-shaped plan and contains a peaked gable set in
the centre of the side wing. Of no particular style, this house
exhibits the ability of late Victorian builders to combine a number
of stylistic elements into an overall pleasing design. The finely
detailed verandah the scroll-sawn gable bargeboard, the bay window
and the buff brick detailing make this house a particularly attractive
and well preserved example of its type. In addition, this house
retains its original glazing and chimney stacks.
brick house built in 1855 is located on the west side
of Scugog Street in Hampton. The northern half of this house
representative of the simple three bay, hip roofed cottage built
in large numbers in towns and villages during the mid-nineteenth
century. However, later in the century this cottage was enlarged
with the building of a 2 storey side wing with a centre gable.
The elaborate storm porch of Italianate design may date from the
original building of the house or it may be a later addition The
side verandah is unusual because of the mixture of open trellage
supports and scroll-sawn brachets. This house is noteworthy because
it demonstrates the gradual evolution of a building which by the
addition of later elements, has developed into a unique architectural
brick house with a Gothic centre gable dates from Circa 1865
and is located on the ease side
of Scugog Street in Hampton. A well preserved and pleasingly designed
example of the classic Ontario rural house. Commonly referred
to as Gothic Revival in style because of the Gothic arched window
in the central gable, and because of the decorative bargeboard
along the eaves, this house actually exhibits a mixture of stylistic
details such as returned eaves, in the Greek Revival tradition,
the Regency glazing pattern in the transom, and an open porch in
the Italianate style. This house remains in an excellent state
of preservation retaining its six-over-six sash and louvered shutters.
However, a railing which once surrounded the porch roof has been
A simple frame home
located on the corner of Scugog and Elgin Street, Hampton, is
of the type commonly built
during the mid-nineteenth century. This house is noteworthy , however,
because it has not under-gone the 20th century modifications which
have so radically altered most of the surviving houses of this
type. It remains in virtually original condition retaining its
six-over-six sash, clapboard siding, returned eaves and front entrance
framed by moulded pilasters and surmounted by a simple entablature.
This house is particularly noteworthy for two rarely seen features;
the fine trellage veranda and the umbrage, or inset porch on the
HISTORICAL COMMENTS The verandah on this
house is identical to that on "Sunnyside", a fieldstone house on the 7th
Concession north of Solina. "Sunnyside" carries a date
stone of 1857, and it is likely that this house was built about
the same time by the same carpenter who built "Sunnyside".
brick home dating from 1870 is also located on the east side
of Scugog Street in Hampton. Gothic Revival in style, the former
Methodist Parsonage is designed with a projecting central gable
flanked by smaller gables set in the main front hall. All three
of these gables contain Gothic arched windows. This triple gable
design was used for a number of houses in the Township, most noteably
the Jesse Trull house on the Base Line and the Charles Smith house
on the 7th Concession. The former Methodist Parsonage i§ prominently
situated on Scugog Street in Hampton and is well maintained, although
it has lost its original verandah, its scroll-sawn gable bargeboard,
and its original glazing from around the front door.
If you want to share some history of your
home, we can possibly add it here, please email us.