More Hampton History in detail....
The aboriginal inhabitants were the
Parts of the Township were surveyed in 1791-2-3.
The first settlers here to the south were U. E. Loyalists and at Port Darlington
(now Bowmanville) in 1794 when the nearest settlements were 30 miles to the
west and Port Hope at 20 miles on the east and the grist mill 60 miles away
(Myers Mill) at the foot of Lake Ontario, taking two weeks to go and return,
using a canoe and hauling it on shore at night. If a storm came up they were
weather-bound until it passed over.
Some of the settlers had brought large coffee mills with them and these were
often used to grind or crack grain until their husband returned. Other contrivances
were made by hollowing out a stump, placing the corn in cavity and pounding
with a crude pestle. The finest of this was made into johnnycake, the coarse
being boiled into mush. Another article of food was found in the wild rice.
This was first parched, then pounded and either made into cakes or boiled and
made a healthful absorbent when taken with animal food.
The Indians carried arms and at times were very troublesome. Capt. John Trull
relates an incident, which occurred when he was a boy. His father had gone
to Myers Mill when a squaw with four papooses came to their home and asked
his mother for Nah-paw-nee (flour). His mother refused as that article was
very scarce; the squaw searched the house and found the flour in a kneading
trough. She brought it out, dividing it equally to every one in the room, putting
her portion in a bag and travelled back through the woods.
Among the earliest settlers to the north of Hampton was the late John Farley
who owned 800 acres. Other early settlers were John Williams, George Smith,
William Brown, James Tole, G. Whitaker, Jas. Cotton, King Parker, F. McLean,
John Cowan, D. Davis, and D. Griffin, who was the first blacksmith on lot 16,
James Cryderman, Hampton, father of the late H. Cryderman, Bowmanville, was
born on lot 22, concession 2, in 1825. His grandfather was a U. E. Loyalist.
His father, Michael Cryderman, moved to this locality from the Township of
Westminster a few weeks previous to James' birth. Mr. Burke built the first
sawmill and sold it to Luther Price, then Mr. Cryderman bought it in 1839.
The first Methodist preaching service was held that same year at Solomon Tyler's
where also the first class was formed, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Tyler and
Mr. and Mrs. Cryderman. Mr. Cryderman was appointed leader by Rev. R. Richardson,
afterwards known as Bishop Richardson of the M. E. Church. Mr. Cryderman was
the first local preacher in Darlington.. The first school house in Darlington
centre, which was also used as a church was built in 1840 on the farm of Michael
Cryderman where he moved from the front in 1839. It was named Mount Pleasant
by Rev. D. Wright who dedicated it and was its first preacher. It was used
jointly by the Bible Christians. Rev. John H. Eynon was the first Bible Christian
preacher. The first school teacher was Thomas Sloan, a Scotsman.
Mr. and Mrs. Elford, Sr., were regular attendants to Mount Pleasant Church
and long after this church was closed, their horse would regularly go to church
and remain in the shed long enough for service and return home. The first Sunday
School was opened in 1841 or 1842 with Thomas Stripp, superintendent; teachers
were John Lyle and John Farley. The first anniversary and tea of this school
was held in the woods on Marshall Cryderman's farm. Mr. Sumpter, merchant at
Bowmanville, attended the tea and treated all the children to candies, thus
making his name famous among the families.
There was a cemetery near the Cryderman home but it is now a ploughed field
and headstones lying against the fence.
Henry Elliott, Sr., who learned the trade of miller at Buck's Mills, Devon,
came to Canada in 1831 in the little barque "Bolina", reaching Bideford,
P.E.I. in June. With the same boat they called at Quebec. Then thirty passengers
came on by batteau to Kingston. Elliott then travelled by steamer to Smith's
Creek (Port Hope), where he went ashore in a large landing boat, there being
as yet no wharf. He was promptly engaged by John D. Smith in the mills his
father, Elias Smith built in 1797-8. In a memorandum book it is recorded that
his wages for 1837 were to be £44.0.0, part in goods. He paid for board
from April 29th 1832 to August 29th 1832 the amount of £3.14.8.
In 1839 Henry Elliott Sr. moved to Darlington (now Bowmanville) and was miller
for Bowman and Company, then under the management of John Simpson. For one
year and seven days work he received £85.17.3.
In 1840 Henry Elliott Sr. purchased 65 acres on which the greater part of the
village of Hampton now stands. This included the mill privilege and the frame
of the grist mill which had been erected by William Lee of Clarke at the west
side of the present dam. The travelled road was then on the west side of the
stream and led up through Mount Pleasant, loosing itself in the dense bush
above Michael Cryderman's saw mill.
The Township was covered with forest, some of which had to be removed before
the farmer could erect his buildings or raise a crop. Most of the settlers
were sturdy immigrants from the British Isles, chiefly from England, who came
to rough it till the land responded to the toiler's plough or hoe. Timber in
those days was of little value and fortunes went up in smoke. Bear, deer and
wolves disappeared with the woods. Wives occasionally were obliged to grind
wheat with a coffee mill until their husbands would return with flour from
People read and talk a lot about the builders of Canada and the men who planned
our canals, railways, harbours and airways. None were greater than those who
went into the unbroken forests, cleared the land and harnessed the streams
to serve the wants of men and make possible what we now enjoy.
For that first grist mill here, the machinery was brought from Cobourg and
the mill stone from Port Hope, a tub wheel was installed for power and the
mill began operation in the fall of 1841 with a capacity of 40 to 50 bushels
a day. Entries in mill account books show purchases of wheat at 4/9, rye 2/3
per bushel in October 1841, and flour in November 60 pounds for 7/6 ($1.46).
Relatively few of the earlier industries of Ontario survive today, particularly
those established when the present Province of Ontario was Canada West in the
Province of Canada; fewer still of those established before Upper Canada merged
with Lower Canada to form the Province of Canada, but the milling industry
in Hampton dates back 105 years.
Most of our early towns and villages were built on or near the Great Lakes,
as the waterways were the great means of transportation. As the country became
settled industries began to develop and these were to be found along the creeks
and rivers which could supply waterpower. Hence the fact that most of our towns
have a stream passing through or near them.
Hampton had a similar origin. After the gristmill was running nicely, Mr. Elliott
built a sawmill to manufacture the necessary lumber for building his house
and houses for workmen and their families. He had a store in his house and
later a large store to supply their needs and cooper shops to make barrels
for shipping flour.
With no railroad to Bowmanville before 1854, and with navigation closed through
the winter, local industries developed to supply local needs. In and near the
village, the creek supplied water power between 1840 and 1856 to increasing
number of mills which finally were - one tannery, two saw mills, one grist
mill, one mill for full cloth, one woolen mill. They were all in or within
a mile of the village along the creek. Using water for industrial purposes,
were also two cooper shops, two wagon shops, two blacksmith shops and soon
after, a pump shop and a cheese factory.
When Henry Elliott Sr. first came the nearest house on the south (2 miles)
was that of Duncan Malcolm, on the road to Darlington (today Bowmanville),
along the West Bank of the creek. Small houses or shanties were built for workmen
and tradesmen and it was soon necessary to subdivide the property into building
The first shoemaker, George Blair in 1845 is charged £1 for one years
rent and when he left in 1845 he is credited with £10 for the building
lot he had bought. (Transcriber's note: - The original typescript gives the
year of 1845 in both cases. We believe that Mr. Blair left about 1885.) For
50 pounds of Indian meal 2/6 is charged.
Amoung the early customers are Michael Cryderman, Patrick Carey, Thomas Greenaway,
James Woodley, Hiram Stanley, Fernaday Potter, James McLaughlin, Solomon Hooper,
John Bray, Yankee Elliott (10th Con.), James McDonald, George Witheridge, David
Davis, Mr. Jack, Richard Moore, Eliza Toole, Archibald Thompson, Thomas Yeo,
John Mitchell, Joe Archer, Richard Hawkey, Andrew Hawkey, Andrew Peters, William
Brown, John Williams, John Andrews, John Farley, John Goyne, John Wilcox, High
Oke, Robert McCoy, Phillip Phillips, Robert Nesbit.
Among the Cartwright accounts for wheat purchased or flour sold, the books
show in 1842, Thomas Crozier, John Crozier, D. Hooey, Henry Caesar, Francis
Bambridge, William Vance, Francis Grigson; in 1843, James Caesar, Thomas White,
William Argue; in 1845, Jas. Parr, Mathew Devitt, Robert Philip, John Landell.
There are also Bruces, McLaughlins, Beacocks, Bradburns, Devitts, Axworthys,
Tooleys and others.
Items of interest charged in Henry Elliott's accounts of 1845-1848 are two
buffalo robes at 27/6 ($5.50) each; 4 horse blankets at 4/3 (.85¢); 1
box tea, 55lbs at 3/1 (.62¢); 1 jar of 20, 3/4 lb snuffs at 1/ 4 (.27¢);
3 snuff boxes at 10d; 3 snuff boxes at 7 1/2d; 56 lbs. Pioneer tea at 2/8 1
D2; 1 keg, p2 lbs, saleratus at 1/4d per lb.; 100 lbs. Rice 27/6; 2 lbs. Indigo
at 6/3; 1 doz. Scythes 42/6; 1 doz. Snaths 25/-; 3 lbs. Thread 2/6; 1 keg,
262 nails 31/3; weighing and shipping 1000 bushels wheat 2.1.8. salt varied
from 10/- to 14/- per lb.; a leghorn hat was 5/-, and eggs in 1847 were 4 pence
(Transcribers note: The amounts, conversions and weights
are as listed in the typescript but should not be accepted without question.)
In 1841 and 1842 the books are entered as in Darlington, but in 1843 Millville
appears. Locally Shantytown was the appellation in 1841 and 1842, then Elliott's
Mills. In Smith's Canadian Gazetteer for 1846 the village is described as Millville
or Elliott's Mills and contains about 150 inhabitants. In 1852 Henry Elliott
Sr. built a large general store and post office and it was then that the name
was changed to Hampton. There were about 250 inhabitants at that time. Elliott's
first mill served its purpose until 1851, at certain seasons of the year running
day and night. At first most of the corn and wheat for gristing was brought
in by ox team and it served farmers not only from Darlington but from Cartwright
and Manvers as well, some of them requiring two days and a night for the trip
of 15 or 20 miles.
Many of the early settlers had neither cart nor wagon, nor were the roads
and brush trails such as to warrant their use. A devise frequently used was
sapling, 3 or 4 inched through at the butt with a crotch near the top; the
butt would be fastened to the yoke between the oxen and bags of grain were
piled across the forked branches behind the oxen, in front of the ends trailing
on the ground. In this way the three or four bags forming the grist were brought
to the mill. Early settlers were able to grow 30, 40 and even 50 bushels to
the acre and found ready market for all they could produce. In 1846, 10 barrels
of flour daily were taken to the wharf. In the fall, 1847 proceeds of 406 barrels
flour 439.22. (sic). An entry records ion March 24th, 1845, a payment of 5/-
for an ox-team and man to Bowmanville for goods. In 1841 flour was 12/6 ($2.50
per cwt.); cornmeal 2/6 (.50¢) per bushel. In 1843 flour was 10/- per
cwt. One pair boots 5.0, another pair 7.6.
Thomas Greenaway was a carpenter and a wagon maker and his son, who went to
school in Millville with Thomas and James Elliott, was later Premier of Manitoba.
Among the early workmen about the mill, house, store and farm are; Richard
Penny 1842, Francis Geyne 1843, Elam Butt, Hugh Corey, Richard Metherall, William
Okes and William Palmer. Henry Curtis appears to have been the first cooper
to make barrels for shipment of surplus flour in 1841. In October 1845 he supplied
280 barrels. In the same month John Bloomfield supplied 203 barrels.
Before the Scugog road was built most of the wheat from the back townships
had to be brought out during the winter months, when relatively large loads
could be teamed over the snow roads, practically impassable for heavily laden
wagons at other times of the year. Elevators at Port Darlington stored the
grain until navigation opened. Before railroads penetrated the northern townships
of the present County of Ontario, the early settlers had to team their grain,
and Mr. Elliott bought from farmers as far north as Thorah, Mara and even Rama.
Between 1842 and 1850 township population increased by over 3600 and 22,785
acres were under cultivation.
In 1851 Mr. Elliott built the present mill on the East Side of the creek,
with four or five run of stone. Memorandum shows William Oke hired for 8
for £4.15.0. per month or £50 per year. Other workmen were William
Vanstone, H. Munro, James Ingram and Kitt Mitchell.
This mill did a flourishing business; in 1861 Mr. Elliott shipped from Port
Darlington 5945 barrels of flour and 5743 bushels of wheat. This required heavy
teams, strong wagons and reliable teamsters, some of the latter were John Hopper,
Thomas Burrows, Hugh Hopper, David Hill, Richard Martin, Francis Gill, William
Martin and William Jennings.
In 1862 a new flume and headrace were constructed, probably in connection with
the installation of a new water wheel for increased power. Those helping to
do this were Albert Wright, William Wilson, William Jennings, S. Hooper, Jas.
Jennings, R. Martin, T. Creeper, Jas. Snell, J. McDEonald, T. Cann, R. Jennings,
Samuel N. Kivell and Jonathan Pickard.
In 1868 many changes were made and the present north entrance on Mill Street
was made and a new hopper scale installed to the left of the entrance. Previous
to this, grain was received and flour shipped from the ground floor to the
south. The entrance for wagons and sleighs was a gate at the junction of John
Street and Mill Street.
Thomas Elliott, 1838-1927, worked in his father's mill and later carried
on the business until he sold the mills in October of 1910 to Charles Horn,
had been his head miller since 1880. It was Thomas Elliott who in 1891 installed
the roller process. The extent of his dealings in grain may be estimated by
the fact that in the fall of 1890 he lost $40,000 on barley which was awaiting
shipment in his elevators when the McKinley administration, without warning,
increased duty to .30¢ per bushel. He was buying, prior to this, some
200,000 bushels of barley per season.
Some who learned milling there were William Kivell, Thomas Cann, Elijah Johns,
D. Brokenshire, George Forester, Joseph Grills and Isaac Moynes, the latter
occupied the mill cottage up to the time of his tragic death.
Charles Horn, while miller taught the trade to T. H. Elliott of Hope, and his
own sons, John B. Horn and Edgar Horn. The latter carried on the business after
his father's death and sold the mill to George Farncomb in June of 1936.
Few mills have had such a long and successful career as that carried on by
Henry and Thomas Elliott for over 70 years and by Charles and Edgar Horn for
over 25 years and now by George Farncomb.
The first travelled road here was on the West Side of the creek. Henry Elliott
had the first store in part of his house and their kitchen was often used for
preaching services. It was customary at that time for women to wear their sunbonnets
and aprons to meetings. The Bible Christian Church was built in 1847 where
the present B. C. Cemetery is. It was a frame church, John Fee was the contractor.
The first B. C. parsonage was a cottage across the street from the church,
built by Mr. Abbott. Later the corner house where Mr. Fursier once lived was
used, then they built a new parsonage. (Where L. Allin now lives.)
Preachers in 1859 were John Hicks Eynon, Abraham Morris and John Edwards.
Paul Robbins was superintendent. The district meeting of 1852 was held at
In 1856 Hampton circuit was organized and the preachers were Henry Elliott,
J. Hooper and G. Haycraft. In 1857 J. Tapp, R. Miller, G. Haycraft with J.
H. Eynon being superintendent of Bowmanville district. A list of Bible Christian
Preachers to 1879 is in John Squair's book "Townships of Darlington and
Clarke". Those were the days when they travelled on horseback.
In 1925 the B. C. Cemetery was terribly neglected but W. R. Allin got interested
and with the help of Dr. Jabez H. Elliott it was leveled, freshly sodded, much
improved and perpetual upkeep started. The sum of $425 raised was transferred
to the Hampton Cemeteries Board which undertook the management and administration
of the B. C. Cemetery with the Union Cemetery at the north of the village.
In 1844 there was a school built on the V shaped lot, nearly in front of A.
Peter's house and the desks were placed around by the walls. Teachers were
Sweetman, Bird, Taylor, Smith, Beer, John Oke, John Rogerson, F. W. Coyle,
and S. McGraw with J. J. Tilley inspector.
Mrs. Webster also had a private school for girls. Some of those attending were:
Sarah Werry (Mrs. T. H. Hancock, Tyrone); Jane Ann Jennings (Mrs. J. Wm. Fleming);
Sarah C. Elliott (Mrs. R. Katerson); Eliza J. Ashton (Mrs John Elliott); Mary
Cowling (Mrs. Harris) and Ella J. Scott.
There was a corduroy road from the old mill at the West Side over to the pit,
near the present mill. During the years when there was a brisk trade in shipping
flour, there was a ready business for three or four coopers. There was Henry
Curtis 1841-1865, Samuel Johns and Thomas Johns in 1871 and Albert Wright.
Records show Richard Bunt, cooper, 1867-1887; he rented a cooper shop at $16.00
per year plus $16.00 for the use of all tools.
One cooper shop was on the side street, west of Mrs. C. John's house, owned
by Samuel Johns. Another shop was in the parking lot near Elliott's Park. There
were also two on Mill Street.
On May 7th, 1874, the cornerstone was laid for the new Bible Christian Church
(afterwards the Methodist Church and now the United Church,) by the late Hon.
Senator John Simpson and dedicatory services were conducted in February 1875
with Rev. Barker preaching the morning service. A. Clark and Rev. J. Smith
spoke in the afternoon and Messrs. Hooper, Roberts, Kenner and Pascoe in the
evening. A grand supper was served, 10 tables with 12 waiters for each table.
The sacred edifice cost $7,000.00 with much gratuitous labour and material
added. The bell was procured from Bowmanville English Church when they bought
chimes. Mrs. H. Elliott Sr. said: "The Church would not be complete without
a bell." And offered a good share toward paying for it.
The first Trustee Board was: William Elford, H. Elliott Sr., H. Elliott Jr.,
Thomas Clark, William Vanstone, Edward Cann, Thomas Burrows, George Awde and
Thomas Ward. The Building Committee was: W. Elford, H. Elliott Sr., H. Elliott
Jr., T. Clark, P. Burroughs, T. Ward, J. Johns, W. Allen and J. Pickard. The
pastor was the Rev. E. Roberts.
Members of the first choir were; bass, T. Burroughs, J. J. Hoidge, J. Ruse,
T. Clark, W. Williams, George Ball; tenor A. Hogarth, W. Russ, W. Vanstone,
C.N. Ruse; soprano, Mary Creeper, Edna Baulch, Rosie Phillips, J. Pickard,
Maria Taylor, Melissa Phillips, Jennie Tulling, Miss Allen; alto, Maggie Westaway,
Jessie Hoidge, Alice Thomas, Nora Clark, Mary A. Ellis, Bessie Ruse; organist,
Georgina Lowry; leader H. Elliott Jr.; trainer Prof. J. Ruse.
In the 50 years there have been 5 leaders and 4 organists. Leaders have been
H. Elliott Jr., I. L. Brown, A. B. Cryderman, Theo. Salter and K. Caverly.
Organists; Georgina Lowry, Ada Clark, Mary J. Elliott and Noney Horn.
Ministers who served from 1873 to 1897 were: Rev Edward Roberts, Henry Kenner,
S. A. Rice, William Wade, R. B. Rowe, Jesse Whitlock, George Brown, Edward
Barrass, Roberts McCullough and James Liddy, M. A.
Ministers who served the Hampton Methodist Church from 1897 to 1935 were:
Rev. E. E. Howard 1897-98
Rev. Henry Thomas 1898-01
Rev. F. B. Anderson 1901-05
Rev. J. R. Berry 1905-07
Rev. T. H. P. Anderson 1907-11
Rev. C. W. Barrett 1911-15
Rev. George Brown 1915-19
Rev. J. O. Totten 1919-21
Rev. W. W. Jones 1921-25
Rev. J. R. Bick 1925-32
Rev. Walter Rackham 1932
The steeple of our church was twice struck by lightening and the last time,
the spire was not replaced but turreted as it is at present.
The Church had a Golden Jubilee celebration on February 22nd, 25th and March
1st, 1925. Ministers at Sunday services were: Rev. William Lambert and Rev
T. Brown. On Wednesday, February 25th, Rev. Dr. Stafford of the Metropolitan
Church, Toronto, preached at 2:30 p. m. and tea was served in the basement.
At * p. m. Dr. Stafford gave his lecture entitled "The Rise and Fall of
Nations." Miss Joy Fawcett of Toronto assisted with vocal selections.
On Sunday, March 1st, Rev. George B. Williams, D. D. of Metropolitan Church,
Toronto, had charge of morning and evening services.
The Veterans Choir for February 22nd 1925, included Theo Salter (leader), Mrs.
F. G. Kerslake, Mrs. C. Johns, Mrs. W. J. Clemence, Mrs. George Barron, Mrs.
J. Curtis, Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Cryderman, Mrs. A. Peters, Mrs. Salter, Mrs.
J. Burns, Mr. and Mrs. Souch, Will Doidge, Mrs. S. Ferguson, Mrs. Clatworthy,
Mrs. A. Trenouth with Mrs. C. J. Kerslake, organist.
Mrs. J. Colwell Jr. has a Hampton Quarterly Plan of 1842 and a picture of a
group of ministers at a B. C. Conference in Bowmanville in 1865. Miss Katerson
has a Quarterly plan of 1873, also a group picture of B. C. Ministers at a
conference in Bowmanville, taken on the steps of the old Queen Street Church
about 1866 or 1867.
The present parsonage once belonged to the Methodists. There was a hotel, kept
by Mr. Pye, where our church now stands. Harry Phillips bought the same and
moved it north on the East Side of the street. He kept the hotel there for
many years, later Mr. Beer had it, also Mr. Bone and Bert Jennings. Fred Kerslake's
house was a part of that hotel and the remainder was made into Thos. Wray's
house. When the hotel was there, they had open sheds for the horses and stables
at the rear, and a pump on the street, which was a handy town pump.
There was another hotel south of that one, which was moved away.
Henry Elliott Sr. built a store on the corner across from the present church
about 1856. It was a three storey brick building with rounding corner and balcony
to the south on the second storey. They sold hardware, shoes, dry goods, jewellery,
sewing machines, pianos, organs and some medicines.
Township Clerk's office was on the south west side and the Post Office on the
south east corner and later the Bank of Montreal had offices there.
Citizens much regretted the loss of this building by fire in 1925. Wm. Allin,
Township Clerk, worked valiantly but many valuable papers and documents were
destroyed by fire including by-laws and registrations of births, marriages
and deaths. Mr. Cole's store was burned when Mrs. Martin's house was destroyed
John Elliott had a grocery store on the East Side of the street. Later James
Williams took over the business and in 1897 Richard Avery bought the stock
from J. Williams and in 1898 bought the store property from John Elliott. In
August 1914, W. W. Horn took over R. Avery's business and in December 1936,
J. R. Reynolds took charge of the business with the addition of meats.
George Barron built on the corner in 1927 and has the Post Office and general
store. There was a good band in Hampton in 1868. The 14 members were: William
Andrews, bandmaster, Charles Rice, leader, Thomas Elliott, John Elliott, William
Jennings, John Ruse, Joseph Ruse, John Crago, William Morsehead, Thomas Busley
Brad Curtis, Thomas Johns and John Johns. Mrs. J. Colwill Jr. has a picture
of this band.
The school at the north was built for a hotel but not used as such. The first
benches were placed around by the wall. J. J. Tilley was school inspector 1867-1883
and W. E. Tilley school inspector 1884-1919. Principals before 1890, not necessarily
in proper order were: W. E. Tilley, F. L. Ellis, Arthur Reynolds, Mr. Sangster,
Dr. Nidderie, George Jamieson, Mr. Horidge, Mr. Thompson, Mr. Sweetman, Mr.
Beere, Dr. Taylor, Frank J. Groat (Jan1890-June1933), Edgar Staples (Sep1933-Jun1938),
H. Faulkner (Sep1938-Dec1941) D. Robertson (Jan 1942-Jun1942), Mrs. M. I. Laramie
(Sep1942-Jun1945). The highest salary paid in Darlington in 1883 was $485 to
Mr. Reynolds. In 1923, $1100 was paid to J. Groat.
Assistant teachers before 1900, not in chronological order: Miss Hales, Miss
Waddell, Miss K. Argue, Miss Salisbury, Mrs. Webster, Miss J. Fisher, Miss
I. Sleigh, Miss Ferris, Miss E. Kerslake, Miss M. Motley, Miss E. Motley, Miss
Coleman, Miss J. Wilgar and Miss Gibson. Since 1900 - 1900 Amy Armour, 1901
F. M. Galbraith, 1904 Miss Sugden, 1906 Robina Johns, 1908 Ethleen Johns, 1909
Miss Scott, 1910 Mrs. W. H. Brown, 1913 Miss Beatty, 1915 Evelyn Currie, 1918
Mildred Cole, 1921 Ida Johns 1923 Betty Sargent, 1924 Miss Webber, 1926 Isabel
Campbell, 1930 Martha Milder, 1931 Grace Cawker, 1938 Elsie Haddon, 1940 Alta
Brown, 1941 Elsie MacMillen, 1944 Noreen Stackley, 1945 Mrs. Charles Warren.
The Methodist Church was built in 1859 near Ashton's Corner. It was a frame
building and was moved down to Mill Street and used by the Salvation Army and
later by the Sons of England Lodge. Methodist Cemetery, now called Union Cemetery,
was extended to the south. John Ashton and Samuel Ashton kept store on the
corner north of the cemetery.
There was a wagon shop south of the United Church, owned by William Vanstone,
John Lewis and Cephas Johns. The three families lived in the house where Mrs.
Cephas Johns now lives and it is over 100 years old. The John's shop is now
Greenaway's Garage. John John's had a wagon shop on Mill Street, which was
later used as an evaporator. John Ruse and his sons had a carpenter shop on
the corner where William Chapman lives, and later A. Stott had a carriage and
paint shop in the same building. Mr. Thomas, Sam Thompson and William Thompson
had the harness shop at different times in the north part of Mrs. F Ruse's
house. Mrs. Sam Thompson had a bakeshop where Mrs. L. Reynolds Lives.
Mrs. T. Creeper (nee Miss Ward) had a millinery shop in the center part of
John Elliott's building long before John Elliott or J. Williams or W. W. Horn
George Rook built the first blacksmith shop. He also kept a tavern in early
days and James Johns came about the same time and made wagons and buggies.
Thomas Greenaway, father of a Premier of Manitoba, was a carpenter and wagon-maker.
John Cole had a tailor shop, employing 2 to 4 helpers. There was also a tailor
shop west of Barron's store employing 3 or 4 helpers. Mr. Couch, Richard Baluch
and Mr. John Mellon had charge at different times for many years. William Martin
had a shoe shop where the tearoom is now. Mr. Perkins had a good shoemaking
business there previous to Mr. Martin and John Sharp was an apprentice.
About 1856 B. F. Perry and L. Ormiston laid out large areas of land into town
lots which sold at high prices, some front quarter acres bringing $400.00.
In 1853 the village became the seat of municipal government, the council meetings
being held in the temperance hotel, then kept by W. Williams, for which he
received $12.00 per year.
The Council that year was: M. Jones, Reeve; J. Washington, Deputy Reeve; P.
Coleman, B. F. Perry and W. H. Rogers with W.R. Windett as Clerk and H. Elliott
as Treasurer. S. B. Bradshaw was Collector and R. Allin, R. Osborne, W. Morsheed,
W. Werry and C. Wilber were assessors of the different wards. John McLaughlin
was License Inspector. Printing was done by J. B. McMillan.
Henry Elliott was appointed the first postmaster and in 1853 he was appointed
Township treasurer, which post he held until his death. He was also Justice
of the Peace. He and his son Henry Elliott Jr. had the Post Office until the
death of the latter in 1915, except for a short time from 1895 when Frank Cole
had it. W. H. Horn had the Post Office until 1937 when it was moved back to
the corner store with George Barron and son in charge.
In November 1931, the paving of the highway from Bowmanville to Blackstock
was completed and a big celebration was held. Hon. Leopold Macauley, Minister
of Highways, cut the ribbon, distributing pieces of it to the ladies present.
The Canadian Legion Band, Bowmanville, under the leadership of Robert Lowens,
headed the procession, which led to Hampton United Church where the ladies
of our Women's Institute looked after a wonderful banquet. There were 180 guests.
Edward Hastings had a pump shop for many years on the East Side of the street
(over Creek). Horses were used to turn out the pumps and pump legs. Later his
son, Charles Hastings, had the shop on the side street with motor power.
There were three frame houses in a row burned about 1870 or 1871, owned by
Jenkins, Pethick and Baulch. Only two were rebuilt - new Katerson and Balson
R. Katerson bought the furniture and undertaking business from James Cryderman
in 1873. Mr. Katerson's shop was just north of his house and he carried on
the business until his health failed and he sold to Norman Rundle in 1903.
The masons were Edward Trenouth, Ambrose Trenouth and Richard Trenouth. T.
Fowke lived where Mrs. Dumont now lives and had a tannery down by the creek.
John Y. Cole and son, Jesse E. L. Cole were butchers where the tannery used
to be. They drove the meat cart about the village and surrounding country.
Thomas Ward had a butcher shop in part of John Elliott's, many years ago but
lived where Mrs. Stephens lives.
There was a cheese factory in the early days north of Mr. R. Avery's home,
owned by Mr. Ormiston. Another cheese factory just west of Ashton's Corner,
is still running but for many years has made butter only. I believe Mr. Switzer
was the first Cheese-maker, followed by Jesse Cole, Mr. Welsh, Mr. Parr, Mr.
Goode, H. Gilbert, Mr. Wallace and Ted Chant. Recorded is a cheese meeting
in 1873 but the factory was probably there many years before that.
It is impossible to find exact dates when many old buildings were erected,
so many records were lost when Elliott's store was burned in 1925.
Frank Mason had a dry goods store in Mrs. F. Ruse's house. Frank Stonehouse
had a farm implement shop where the TeaRoom is. Edward Groat had a shoe shop
in the north west corner of F. J. Groat's house where he also repaired clocks.
Richard Moyse had a shoe shop in Elliott's frame store on the East Side. Carpenters
were Richard Worth, Mr. Gully and son Frank Gully, Andrew Pennington who apprenticed
Charles Pascoe, his son Thornley Pennington, W. Cryderman, Theo. Salter, Jim
Pye. Joseph Clatworthy was also a carpenter and Lewis Johns was in partnership
with him for some time and apprenticed his son, Orion Clatworthy and also Charles
Burrows, Thomas Wray, Joe Edde, Tom Edde and H. Blackburn. Erasmus Fowke was
Mrs. Honey had a dressmaking shop over John Ellott's store. Miss Annie Ashton
learned the trade with her and later carried on dressmaking in her home. Those
who learned dressmaking were; Miss L. Tulley, Miss M. Noble, Miss E. Westaway,
Miss R. Cryderman, Miss J. Ward, Miss M. Pascoe, Miss I. Ellis, Miss Ethel
Cryderman, Miss M. Katerson and Miss G. Ranton. Samuel Ward had a grocery and
tinware store on Mill Street where Mr. Blackburn now lives.
More names of pioneers of Hampton are:
William Oke, carpenter
Lockhart Ormiston, merchant
W. Perkins, shoemaker
Daniel Wilcox, tailor
Richard Butler, saddler
Edward Jenkins, carpenter
J. R. Janes, carding and cloth mill (the latter, I believe was just north of
the present butter factory.)
Irwin L. Brown
J. H. Burrows
John Cole and sons; John T., Wm. J. and Frank Cole.
Michael Cryderman Sr. whose family were; Daniel, James, Marshall, Michael
Marshall Cryderman Jr. whose family were; Benson, Walter, Carlos, Will, Frank,
Howard, Lena, Annie, Ella, Ethel, Ada, Hilda and Hessy.
Michael Cryderman Jr. whose family was Florence, Cynthia, Theo., Foster, Alma,
Elsie, Mary, Louis (?), and Eva.
Other old timers were:
William H. Gay
Harry T. Phillips
John B. Russel
Thomas G. Stonehouse and sons George, Frank and Charles
Humphery Short and sons Henry and William D.
Our Town Hall was built by John Ruse in 1855 and cost $606.00. Joseph Ruse
had a music room upstairs in the north part of John Elliott's frame store at
the time when the building had an outside stairway. He was the leader of the
Bible Christian choir. Mrs.Sam Mason (afterwards Mrs. Ed. Hastings) had a fancywork
store in the north part of the same building. There was also a fancywork store
in the house north of the park entrance, which was burned when Cole's store
There was a woolen mill north of the village owned by Duncan Taylor, where
people from the surrounding country had their wool made into blankets.
Mr. Perry started to build a woolen mill near W. Greenaway's garage but it
was never completed. Tom Smith had a sawmill west of the Guide Board (north
of Cryderman's sawmill.)
On September 10th 1921, in the presence of a large happy assembly of citizens
and others, Dr. J. H. Elliott and his sister, Mrs. C. J. Kerslake, presented
the Township with the deed for "Elliott Memorial Park" which is a
favourite place for public and private picnics, ball games, etc. It has a fine
entrance with well-kept border of flowers on each side, a turnstile, a bungalow
and a Woman'' Institute Booth. There are slides and swings, making it a splendid
playground for children. The Woman's Institute helped buy the north lot adjoining
the park entrance that it may be extended. Skating is greatly enjoyed on our
pond, also some fishing.
William Beer had a blacksmith shop in the north part of the village and T.
J. Clark had a blacksmith shop south of the store corner on the East Side of
the street. It was later carried on by J. Lane, A. McFeeters, Amos Bond and
H. H. Wilcox.
Hampton citizens are fond of flowers and people passing through remark on the
profusion of same in the gardens and the house plants in the windows in winter.
There were flying squirrels here in 1918. Miss H. Katerson has one mounted.
The Bible Christian Church _ taken from Prof. John Squar's book: "The
Townships of Darlington and Clarke."
In 1854, preachers in Darlington Circuit were: Paul Robbins, G. Haycraft, H.
Redd, and J. Hughes. In 1855 the first Canadian Conference met at Columbus
on June 7th. In 1857 Hampton Circuit preachers were: J. B. Tapp, R. Miller,
G Haycraft (supernumerary). In 1858, J. H. Eynon was superintendent of Bowmanville
District and the preachers were: J. Ashley, J.B. Tapp and G Haycraft.
Hampton Circuit Preachers
1861 Rev. W. Hooper
1862-4 Rev. W. R. Roach
1865-7 Rev. J, Doidge
1868 Rev. R. T. Courtice and Rev. J. Doidge
1869-70 Rev. J. Doidge and Rev. E. Roberts
1872 Rev Mark Hardy and Rev. E. Roberts
1873-74 Rev. Henry Kenner
1875 Rev. W. Wade
1876 Rev. S. H. Rice
1877 Rev. J. Gilson and Rev. S. H. Rice
1878 Rev. S. J. Cummings and Rev. S. H. Rice
1879-80 Rev. R. B. Rowe
1881 Rev. J. W. Cannon and Rev. R. B. Rowe
1882 Rev. Wesley Down and Rev. R. B. Rowe
1883 Rev. Oke
Some of the old homes that have disappeared from the district are:
A house one north of Mrs. Enoch Stevens and another just south of her home.
Another south of the cemetery (the old tollgate) and one between the Parsonage
and Mrs. Robbins. One north of the park entrance where Mrs. Oliver lived and
a store (F. Cole's) just north of that. A house between Mr. Harry Wilcox and
where Mr. Blackburn lives. Another between the church gate and the church shed.
Two houses which were west of Mrs. John's house have gone. One west of Mr.
G. Honey's, and another east of W. Wilbur's. Three houses between the Katerson's
and the Souch's garage have gone. Another house at the end of the lane between
Mr. Souch and Mrs. Challoner. One south of Mrs. Flintoff's house, one east
of Mr. Randall's, one on the present church property, opposite B. Fergusons.
One between Mr. Wray's and Mrs. Belson's, one north of Mrs. Trenouth's, one
on the waters edge opposite Mrs. Robin's house (where Sam Mason, Franks's father,
lived). One just north of James Hogarth and one on the back road on Mr. E.
J. Creeper's farm.
B. Mitchell was the first man to drive a wagon and buggy over the Scugog Road.
He also bought, from the States, the first reaping machine used in Darlington.
He also built the first stone house in Darlington.
About 1850 a flourishing division of the Sons of Temperance was established;
among prominent members were: H. B. Bradley, John Lammiman, W. Williams, J.
Cryderman, H. Elliott, Rev. A. Kennedy and B. J. Perry.
Other clippings show that in 1858 the Hampton Lodge of Good Templars was instituted
in the Town Hall with these officers for the first quarter:
W.C.T. - James Cryderman
W. Vice Templar - Mrs. Phillip Hill
W. Secretary - Henry Ellioyy Jr.
W. Associate - William Cryderman
W. Fin. Secretary - James Taylor
W. Treasurer - M. M. Halstead
W. Inner Guard - Charles W. Smith
W. Outer Guard - Marshall Cryderman
W. Conductor - George Smith
W. Marshall - James Smith
W. D. M. - Mrs. James Cryderman
R. H. Supporter - S. Smith
L. H. Supporter - Elizabeth Brimacombe
At the following meetings, I believe, nearly every person in the vicinity became
a member. (There are too many names to list them here.) The minute book from
which the names were taken covers the period up to January 21, 1862.
Prepared for the Woman's Institute, 1945 by Mary J. E. Katerson
Note: - The information upon which this local history is
based has been derived principally from Dr. J. M. Elliott's "History
of Hampton Mills" and clippings saved by the late Mrs. R. Katerson from
local papers throughout the years.