Heritage Buildings

 Welcome to Hampton Heritage Buildings page. If you want to share some history of your heritage home, please share with us.

In the Fall of 1985, the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee (L.A.C.A.C.) of the Town of Newcastle, commissioned Fred Cane, an architectural and restoration consultant, to survey Darlington Township in order to identify buildings of heritage value. In order to keep the inventory to a manageable size, buildings erected after 1900, and barns, driving sheds and other non-domestic farm buildings were not included in the survey.

As historical data on individual buildings was not readily available, the reasons used to select any building for inclusion in the inventory were based primarily on architectural significance. A building could be considered architecturally significant for any of the following reasons:

(A) its design embodies in a superior manner the characteristics of a particular style.
(B) it is a representative example of a local building type which although once common is now scarce.
(C) its key position within a grouping of significant buildings is such that its destruction would erode the architectural value of the surrounding structures, neighbourhood or landscape.

Regrettably, much of the rich and varied architectural tradition of this area has been lost over the years. The Committee hopes that this volume will serve as a useful reference to both owners and admirers of the 19th Century structures and that it will encourage an active interest in the preservation of our architectural heritage.

The publication of this inventory was made possible by a grant from the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.

(Only Hampton area buildings are displayed below, with architectural comments)

Hampton United Church

Hampton United Church built in 1875 is the largest and best preserved of the village churches in Darlington Township. Its location at the central intersection in Hampton gives the church a prominence which makes it the architectural focal point of the village. Surrounded by mature trees and an iron fence, the church has a particularly fine setting which enhances its simple Gothic Revival Design. The Church retains its original Gothic glazing pattern and much of its original detailing, although the spire which once completed the tower has been removed, then rebuild years later.
HISTORICAL COMMENTS The cornerstone for the church was laid in May 1874 and the building was dedicated about a year later, Built as a Bible Christian Church, it became a Methodist Church in 1884 and a United Church in 1925. The bell in Hampton United Church was purchased from St. John’s Anglican Church in Bowmanville. NOTE: All upper windows were replaced in Fall 2003.

Hampton Mill

The Hampton Mill built in 1851 is one of four grist mills remaining in the Town of Newcastle. Built of timber frame construction, the mill is 2.5 storeys in height and seven bays wide. It retains many of its small paned sash as well as its returned eaves in the vernacular Greek Revival tradition, although most of the clapboard has been removed from the south and west sides. In spite of its poor condition the mill remains an impressive early building, and because its setting has not been dramatically altered, it has greater architectural significance than the Vanstone Mill in Bowmanville.
HISTORICAL COMMENTS Henry Elliott constructed this grist mill in 1851 to replace a smaller mill which stood on the west side of the creek. Elliott died in 1905 and in 1910 the business was sold to Charles Horn, the first of a series of owners during the 20th century.

Old Scugog Rd. – west side

This house on the west side of Scugog Street in Hampton dates from Circa 1875 and is a similar but less elaborate version of the design used for the former Methodist Parsonage. Here the second storey gables contain round-headed windows in the Italianate tradition although the triple gable facade with its decorative bargeboard gives the house a strong Gothic Revival feeling. Front verandahs were not originally built in this instance, but an attractive side verandah remains on the rear wing. This house is well preserved and retains its original glazing.

Old Scugog Rd. – west side

This house Circa 1875 is representative of many built during the latter part of the 19th century. Located on the west side of Scugog Street in Hampton it is designed with a basically ell-shaped plan and contains a peaked gable set in the centre of the side wing. Of no particular style, this house exhibits the ability of late Victorian builders to combine a number of stylistic elements into an overall pleasing design. The finely detailed verandah the scroll-sawn gable bargeboard, the bay window and the buff brick detailing make this house a particularly attractive and well preserved example of its type. In addition, this house retains its original glazing and chimney stacks.

Old Scugog Rd. – west side

This brick house built in 1855 is located on the west side of Scugog Street in Hampton. The northern half of this house is representative of the simple three bay, hip roofed cottage built in large numbers in towns and villages during the mid-nineteenth century. However, later in the century this cottage was enlarged with the building of a 2-story side wing with a centre gable. The elaborate storm porch of Italianate design may date from the original building of the house or it may be a later addition The side verandah is unusual because of the mixture of open trellage supports and scroll-sawn brachets. This house is noteworthy because it demonstrates the gradual evolution of a building which by the addition of later elements, has developed into a unique architectural composite.

Old Scugog Rd. – east side

This brick house with a Gothic centre gable dates from Circa 1865 and is located on the ease side of Scugog Street in Hampton. A well preserved and pleasingly designed example of the classic Ontario rural house. Commonly referred to as Gothic Revival in style because of the Gothic arched window in the central gable, and because of the decorative bargeboard along the eaves, this house actually exhibits a mixture of stylistic details such as returned eaves, in the Greek Revival tradition, the Regency glazing pattern in the transom, and an open porch in the Italianate style. This house remains in an excellent state of preservation retaining its six-over-six sash and louvered shutters. However, a railing which once surrounded the porch roof has been removed.

Old Scugog Rd. – east side

A simple frame home located on the corner of Scugog and Elgin Street, Hampton, is of the type commonly built during the mid-nineteenth century. This house is noteworthy , however, because it has not under-gone the 20th century modifications which have so radically altered most of the surviving houses of this type. It remains in virtually original condition retaining its six-over-six sash, clapboard siding, returned eaves and front entrance framed by moulded pilasters and surmounted by a simple entablature. This house is particularly noteworthy for two rarely seen features; the fine trellage veranda and the umbrage, or inset porch on the south side.
HISTORICAL COMMENTS The verandah on this house is identical to that on “Sunnyside”, a fieldstone house on the 7th Concession north of Solina. “Sunnyside” carries a date stone of 1857, and it is likely that this house was built about the same time by the same carpenter who built “Sunnyside”.

Old Scugog Rd. – east side

This brick home dating from 1870 is also located on the east side of Scugog Street in Hampton. Gothic Revival in style, the former Methodist Parsonage is designed with a projecting central gable flanked by smaller gables set in the main front hall. All three of these gables contain Gothic arched windows. This triple gable design was used for a number of houses in the Township, most noteably the Jesse Trull house on the Base Line and the Charles Smith house on the 7th Concession. The former Methodist Parsonage i§ prominently situated on Scugog Street in Hampton and is well maintained, although it has lost its original verandah, its scroll-sawn gable bargeboard, and its original glazing from around the front door.